"The language of Top challenge"

"The language of Top challenge"

Message  Pierre le Jeu 7 Sep 2006 - 11:16

Pris sur le Blog de Michael Brooke, éditeur du magazine Concrete Wave:

August 29th, 2006
If I am not mistaken, this will be my 3rd year coming to Top Challenge in Montreal. I am not just going to an event, I am going to see friends. Montreal is one helluva city. It’s a unique blend of old and new…of Europe and North America. I estimate this is my 30th time visiting Montreal.
For those of you wondering if you need to speak French in order to visit Montreal, you don’t. Most folks speak English. However, if you do speak even just a little bit of French, it makes the trip even that more special. My French is borderline passable, but truthfully, it’s the fact that I try to speak that makes all the difference in the world. I find the language, culture and customs of Quebec fascinating and truly enjoyable. I have had the priviledge (and continue to have) of staying at people’s homes in Quebec and getting a first hand insight into how life works. It’s a little different than Ontario and believe me, it’s a lot of fun. Sure, I tend to completely mutilate words, but my hosts are very gracious.
If you think about it, we as skaters have our own language and our own customs. Anyone entering our world needs to stop and think for a minute before they barge in. If they make the effort to try and understand what we’re doing, it’s their way of respecting what we are about and through this, they gain our trust. Once this respect and trust is gained, people find they are part of a community.
For those of you who are coming up to Top Challenge, I assure you, rain or shine you will have a blast. The comraderie (hey, isn’t that a French word!?) is fantastic and the city will seduce you…the nightlife in Montreal is a mindblower.
For those of you sitting on the fence, debating whether or not to come, I urge you to get you butts down to La Belle Province. Montreal is about 5 hours from NYC…
Finally, for those of you who would love to come, but for whatever reason are unable, I hope that you will at least buy some good French wine, cheese and bread and rent a great French movie (try Jean de Floret or Diva) and think of us next weekend (having the time of our lives!)

Très cool comme lecture, si tous le monde avait l'ouverture que nous montre Michael...

Administrateur

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: "The language of Top challenge"

Message  Simon le Jeu 7 Sep 2006 - 11:26

Nous autre aussi on les aime "quand même" les anglos... ah ah ah

Ça fait du bien de lire ça, merci Pierre
Simon
Gnar Shredder

Message  Alex le Jeu 7 Sep 2006 - 12:53

super cool...!!! k1w1 jazais avec au top et il disai que pour lui sétais comme un respect envers lautre que de parler francais..donc il essayais de parler francais et k1w1 parlais anglais....c'est comme sa qu'on appres je crois bien!
Alex
Gnar Shredder

Wow,,,

Message  Benji le Lun 11 Sep 2006 - 15:18

Wow, c'est vraiment nice à lire ce petit texte, merci Pierre. thumleft
Benji
Rider Recrue

Message  DB.Rider le Lun 11 Sep 2006 - 15:45

Montreal I love you
DB.Rider
Gnar Shredder

Message  Bot le Jeu 29 Sep 2011 - 3:56

Pierre a écrit:Pris sur le Blog de Michael Brooke, éditeur du magazine Concrete Wave:

August 29th, 2006
If I am not mistaken, this will be my 3rd year coming to Top Challenge in Montreal. I am not just going to an event, I am going to see friends. Montreal is one helluva city. It’s a unique blend of old and new…of Europe and North America. I estimate this is my 30th time visiting Montreal.
For those of you wondering if you need to speak French in order to visit Montreal, you don’t. Most folks speak English. However, if you do speak even just a little bit of French, it makes the trip even that more special. My French is borderline passable, but truthfully, it’s the fact that I try to speak that makes all the difference in the world. I find the language, culture and customs of Quebec fascinating and truly enjoyable. I have had the priviledge (and continue to have) of staying at people’s homes in Quebec and getting a first hand insight into how life works. It’s a little different than Ontario and believe me, it’s a lot of fun. Sure, I tend to completely mutilate words, but my hosts are very gracious.
If you think about it, we as skaters have our own language and our own customs. Anyone entering our world needs to stop and think for a minute before they barge in. If they make the effort to try and understand what we’re doing, it’s their way of respecting what we are about and through this, they gain our trust. Once this respect and trust is gained, people find they are part of a community.
For those of you who are coming up to Top Challenge, I assure you, rain or shine you will have a blast. The comraderie (hey, isn’t that a French word!?) is fantastic and the city will seduce you…the nightlife in Montreal is a mindblower.
For those of you sitting on the fence, debating whether or not to come, I urge you to get you butts down to La Belle Province. Montreal is about 5 hours from NYC…
Finally, for those of you who would love to come, but for whatever reason are unable, I hope that you will at least buy some good French wine, cheese and bread and rent a great French movie (try Jean de Floret or Diva) and think of us next weekend (having the time of our lives!)

Très cool comme lecture, si tous le monde avait l'ouverture que nous montre Michael...

Ca avait besoin d'être recité. Oui Oui. C'est pour vous les flos et les vieux. Bonne lecture.
Ah pis ca aussi:

de Pierre, pris sur Silverfish:

Depending on winds, on that "hill" we can get up to 85km/h (53 MPH)
on standup (and maybe 95km/h on a luge).

Chaput is supposed to show up with a 83mm Centerset Gumball.
That could well be "the wheel" for speedboarding.

Bot
Green goblin lover

http://www.flickr.com/mbottreau

Message  Dimm le Ven 30 Sep 2011 - 0:23

5 hours from new York? Fuck this guy drives fast haha. I've never done it under 7.

anyways it's interesting how he talks about comraderie because I feel like at some point in time that wasn't at allthe feeling in Montreal. At least from my view. It's normal I guess but its something I've noticed since I started being a part of the community here in 2007. can't speak for before that...

I've only really started to have that feeling of comraderie since I started to work on TeamQuebec.org this summer. I guess it probably sounds stupid but these past several months I've worked with so many people in the community to put together articles that it does feel like were one big team working together for a common purpose. Which is rad.
Dimm
Gnar Shredder

http://www.dklongboards.com/

Message  Dominic P le Ven 30 Sep 2011 - 7:27

I wonder how many times you went into a skatepark when you could only pop ollies and knew nobody, the simple fact that everyone talks to everyone when they meet on spots is impressive if you ask me.

Dominic P
Gnar Shredder

Message  maxim le Ven 30 Sep 2011 - 8:34

C'est toute des perceptions uniques à chacun. Je pense aussi que la communauté du longboard est unique et que le niveau de camaraderie est ce qui rend celle-ci spéciale.

Cela dit, j'ai l'impression que TeamQuebec.org devient notre front page «coast longboarding style», qui documente les events, videos, sessions et qui donne une tribune crédible à chacun.
maxim
Gnar Shredder

http://maximgarantrousseau.com

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé